We have been willing to collaborate on the making of unicycle with by Sam Whittingham, the bike builder of Naked Bikes for a little while. The need for a nice touring unicycle was just the occasion needed.
When I was reading blogs and stories from bikers who went on similar trip, I remember being shocked that they often got possession of their bikes only a little before they started their trip and that they had not really tested their equipment. But of course, I ended up doing the exact same thing since I only contacted Sam in September while I was totally aware about the long waiting line he has. I’m really grateful he accepted the challenge anyway with such short notice even though he had never built a unicycle before (but he could already ride one) and I`m really happy he made me such a beautiful piece.
Here are the details that make it really special:
- a dedicated rack at the front and at the back
- the painting matching my helmet and local native art
- the brake cable internally routed
- the space available for spare spokes
- the attachements for water bottle cages and a pump